Sunday, July 18, 2010

He is Sufficient!

This week I am going to take a break from our series on Psalm 119 and instead focus on something a little different. Today lets instead look at sufficiency. I have had 2 Corinthians 12:9 running through my head, especially the part where God tells Paul “My grace is sufficient for you.” Now most of you know that I am not a big fan of The Message, but I think it really captures what I have been thinking of. It reads “My grace is enough; it's all you need.” Earlier, in 2 Corinthians 3:5, Paul wrote “...but our sufficiency is from God,” and that brings us back to Matthew 6:25-34, where Jesus tells us, promises us really that God is sufficient for everything!

What is sufficient? Merriam Webster defines “Sufficient” as “ enough to meet the needs of a situation or a proposed end” and Dictionary.com defines it as “adequate for the purpose; enough:” God said that He is sufficient for ALL our needs, In fact we are promised that “...God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work.” (2 Corinthians 9:8 HCSB). God is sufficient! He is enough, and He will provide enough for us. There is a caveat to that though, notice towards the end of 2 Corinthians 9:8 it says that we “may excel in every good work.” We are expected to use what we have to glorify God and to do His mighty, good works. We are expected to help build and maintain His kingdom, to take care of what we have and to take care of that which is precious in His sight. His sufficiency extends to everyone and that means that often time we are the conduit of His sufficiency for someone else.

Now why have I been thinking about His sufficiency? What does it really mean? His sufficiency has been beaten again and again into my rather thick skull. Its a lesson that I keep having to relearn. Sufficiency means that God provides enough for me. I don't really need a nicer car, the one I have is sufficient. I don't really need a nice stereo, the one I have is sufficient. My vacuum cleaner is sufficient to my needs, so I don't need another one...or more. My time is sufficient for all that I need to do. I even have more free time than I should if I look at my schedule! God meets my needs and its been amazing! There is nothing I can think of that I need that God has not provided for and there is nothing I can want that I find that He has not already and truly met that need in the best way possible. So there is something you can think about, just like I have been. Think about His sufficiency in your life, your needs, your wants – really think about them – and compare your needs and wants to what you have and how God is providing. You will be just as amazed as I have been.

Great is thy faithfulness, O God, My Father
There is no shadow of turning with Thee.
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not;
As thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home