Sunday, July 25, 2010

Psalm 119:145-152: Desperate for Holiness

Psalm 119:145 “With my whole heart I cry; answer me, O LORD! I will keep your statutes”
Psalm 119:152 “Long have I known from your testimonies that you have founded them forever.”

Have you ever cried out to God for something? Something important? I recall one time when I cried out and He answered. At the time I was desperately looking for my gerbil who had escaped his cage. My family and I were living in this large single story ranch house which meant that there were all sorts of little nooks and crannies for the gerbil to get into. Also there were mice around who would get into the gerbil food at night. Finally there was an old blacksnake which lived underneath the house as further danger for the gerbil. I really wanted to find our little pet and I was distraught. I cried out to God, praying as hard as I could, begging Him to help us find the gerbil. Not more than a couple minutes later we found him in the clean towels in the closet. Now admittedly what I cried out for as a child and what David cried out for in this Psalm are two different things. David cried out for holiness, For God to totally free him from his enemies – not enemies who were people, but enemies who were thoughts, deeds, actions, memories! David was beset with reminders of how fallen he was and he was scared of falling short and failing the trust God had placed in him!

David's enemies are our enemies too. We don't have the exact same recriminatory memories, but we do share the same deeds, the same basic thoughts, the same fleshly actions, and a memory that constantly bombards us with each and every failing. We too need to seek after God's holiness with all desperation. While most assuredly our enemies are far from God's law - enemies also not of flesh and blood, but of powers and principalities of darkness – David's beautiful statement is also equally true, “But you are near, O Lord, and all your commandments are true.” (v 151) Every single one of God's commands are true, and every promise of His endures for ever (Isaiah 40:8). He promises to draw near to us if we draw near to Him. Unlike Yoda from Star Wars, God doesn't believe in “there is no try”. He wants us to do our best, to make the attempt, try for it and He will meet us because He knows that it is only through His strength and power, might and grace that we could ever succeed. We need to pursue with a single-minded determination after His holiness and serving Him to the best of our abilities. He will make things right. So lets be as desperate as David in seeking after and trying to draw near to God.

Help me to be holy, O Father of light;
Guilt-burdened and lowly, I bow in Thy sight;
How shall a stained conscience dare gaze on Thy face,
E’en though in Thy presence Thou grant me a place?

Help me to be holy, O Savior divine;
Why conquer so lowly this nature of mine?
Stamp deeply Thy likeness where Satan’s has been;
Expel with Thy brightness my darkness and sin!

Help me to be holy, O Spirit divine;
Come, sanctify wholly this temple of Thine;
Now cast out each idol, here set up Thy throne.
Reign, reign without rival, supreme and alone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home