Sunday, August 08, 2010

Psalm119:161-168 God's Word is True Personal Gain

Psalm 119:162 “I rejoice at your word like one who finds great spoil.”
Psalm 119:165 “Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.”

Have you ever read a passage of scripture and then realized that you just grew a little more, that you had just became a tad better and more Christlike? Yeah, me neither. What I have noticed instead is a gradual change. The more time I spend in the Bible the better my days go, the more levelheaded I seem, and the less often I get distracted by “worldly” things. I'm not saying that I am not distractable because I am. I really am. It still seems so easy to watch a movie instead of reading my Bible. Its still easy to go read a sci-fi novel instead of taking time for prayer and adoration of the Most High. Its still easy – you get the idea. But change has come, slowly, as I internalize the Word of God. Slowly but surely things in my life have changed, just like they have in yours. I can look back at who I was and who I am and I can rejoice because I know that I will continue to grow more towards Christ in the years to come and that I will never stop growing. This pittance of a change is nothing compared to the tremendous advances that will be made in my life in my endeavor for Christlikeness.

The Bible contains everything we need to know. It really does. It is a treasure beyond compare and David knew that. He adored God and he wrote about how great a treasure it was for him. Gods word was that pearl of great price for him. God's word was that reassurance that despite the circumstances God was in charge. God's word was the reminder of what David had to look forward to and what he had done. God's word taught him how to avoid sin. The Bible, God's Word was everything that David needed, and it is everything that we need.

Often times we look out at our neighbors or the world around us and say “You know, we need this to be happy” or “This would make my life easier” and maybe it could, but we don't really need it. Its no real treasure. We can surround ourselves with things here on earth and it really won't make us happy, make us better people, lift our hearts when we are sad, encourage us, or aid our walk with Christ. We view these things as treasure and great spoil but in reality they aren't. Its all dross. In Mark 8:36, Jesus says “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?” I know that I would rather gain Heaven than the world, save my soul and lose the world, save a soul and lose my life than anything else. God's word is that valuable and that life changing. How can we who claim His name and His blood not know His word? If we know His word it truly does change our lives. Not always in an instant, but slowly and surely over time we find that we are changed from who we were to who He wants us to be.

This week, are you spending the time in the Word like you should be? Am I? As you read your devotions think about how God is working in your life and what treasures you have found by serving Him.

Come, ye thankful people, come,
raise the song of harvest home;
all is safely gathered in,
ere the winter storms begin.
God our Maker doth provide
for our wants to be supplied;
come to God's own temple, come,
raise the song of harvest home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home