Sunday, July 15, 2012

Psalm 105:2-4 - Voices of Praise

Psalm 105:2-4 “Sing to Him, sing praise to Him; tell of all His wonderful acts. Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice. Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always.”

How many of you have found yourself in a place of dismay? In a place of joy? How many of us have spent hours on our knees in prayer for reassurance, for help, for any word at all?  That would be all of us, I shouldn't wonder. Yet how often have we turned to rejoicing and singing? How often do we praise the Lord in the midst of our...whatever?

One of the most ignored things in our walk with the Lord that I am finding is singing to God and reveling in His strength, in His glory, and in praises to Him.  Oh, most certainly we sing hymns and praise songs in church.  We probably even whistle the tune to the latest Christian Radio Hit (among other tunes we whistle) but we don't take the time, really take the time to sing to God on our own, out of our need, out of our heart, and out of our thankfulness. The Psalmist wrote dozens of psalms about depression, but he wrote easily twice that about singing to God and for every psalm of trouble, there is a reference to praising the Lord. That should be a big hint to us that it is important. 

In my life at the moment, I am discovering just how “simply singing” is so helpful. I have prayed, I have immersed myself in scripture, I have read some books on topics dealing with what I am currently going through. The one thing that helps alleviate my situation is finding myself singing to the Lord. It could be a hymn, a chorus, a ditty, no matter what it is, it lifts my heart and encourages me. I am looking to the Lord and His strength. I am drawing on His strength when I have none of my own left.

So if you are in a place of trouble, if you have prayed and still all seems dark and dismal, try lifting your voice in song to God. You don't have to have a good voice, it can be in the privacy of your home, but sing! Sing praises to God and your spirits will rise!


Sing We the King Who is coming to reign
Glory to Jesus, the Lamb that was slain
Life and salvation His empire shall bring
And joy to the nations when Jesus is King
                                  Charles Silvester Horne, 1915.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home